According to the United States National Library of Medicine (MedlinePlus) arthritis is a disease that has more than 100 types. All of them have in common the inflammation of one or more joints, where “the degradation of joint structures, particularly cartilage”, is one of its causes.
The kind of The most common arthritis is osteoarthritis (OA), which usually occurs with aging.
“As OA worsens, bone spurs or extra bone can form around the joint. The ligaments and muscles around the joint may become weaker and stiffer.”, says a report reviewed in October 2002 by MedlinePlus.
However, other arthritis are also considered common such as:
- Scleroderma: It’s the buildup of fibrous tissue, which is caused by an autoimmune problem, notes the Medical Encyclopedia, which basically destroys healthy tissue in the body. “The accumulation of a substance called collagen in the skin and other organs leads to symptoms of the disease,” he adds.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: “it is a chronic inflammatory disorder”, which affects the joints. Likewise, this ailment can damage organs such as the heart, blood vessels, lungs and even the eyes.
The symptoms that people who suffer from it present are: fever, pain and swelling in the joints. Additionally, this disorder begins in the fingers and toes. For this reason, over time the disease spreads to the “wrists, knees, ankles, elbows, hips and shoulders,” he explains.
- Reactive arthritis: Usually this type of arthritis causes swelling in the eyes and skin caused by an infection. However, MedlinePlus clarifies that the exact cause is not known, with the female gender being the most affected. It should be clarified that although there is an infection in the body, the joints are not necessarily infected.
- Ankylosing spondylitis (AS): In this case, he points out that it is “a chronic form of arthritis” that usually affects “the bones and joints at the base of the spine, where it connects to the pelvis.”
- Drop: The medical encyclopedia specifies that gout is a type of arthritis that develops when uric acid is deposited in the blood, causing joint pain. It is worth mentioning that uric acid is a substance obtained after the breakdown of some foods that have purines; however, the body also produces them.
Although the list is extensive about these types of arthritis, it is worth noting rhizarthrosis, a disease so little known, but very common in women.
According to the Las Condes Clinic, This class of arthritis is known by other names such as metacarpal tropecio osteoarthritis, or osteoarthritis of the thumb, which is basically due to wear and tear on the thumb joint, which although like rheumatoid arthritis, the medical entity ensures that it usually develops in the female gender, but men are not exempt.
Therefore, he assures that this disease affects daily activities, which is why it “alters the pincer function”, that is, the base joint of the thumb.
The symptoms that stand out the most are pain and inflammation of the joint and loss of strength causing deformation. Hence, it is suggested to consult with a health professional to give the proper treatment, where rest is essential and the use of anti-inflammatory drugs.
However, surgery is an option that, according to the Clinic, is effective and improves movement, since the disease affects the functioning and activity of the hand.