In an interview for the media The countrythe former soccer player Gerard Piqué, who has also been the center of the media due to his separation with the singer Shakira, decided to talk about his retirement from soccer, as well as the controversial Negreira case, among other topics such as improving his image.
When asked about his separation from Shakira, a central issue in the current situation of the former soccer player and about which he had already spoken in recent days, he stated that he was not going to comment further on this issue, indicating that he sought to protect his little ones. “I’m not going to comment, I don’t feel like it. Everyone has their responsibility to try to do what is best for their children,” said the athlete.
“It’s about protecting them. That is the job of all parents with children. That is what I am focused on and that is my job as a father ”Piqué insisted, stating that he would not talk about the subject and that during all this time he is preferring to focus his attention on his little ones, Sasha and Milan.
In other media, he has expressed the same opinion in recent days.
On the other hand, when asked about the Negreira case, an alleged case of corruption about Barcelona, the former soccer player took the opportunity to affirm that this led to conspiracies and covers, but that the players were not given reports on the club’s operations.
“Nothing happened to the players. I never asked for anything. Others asked for reports from the opposing team and perhaps some did from the referees. No idea. At the group level, of course, we received nothing. But this is a subject that gives for conspiracies and newspaper front pages. That’s what the country lives on. I think you have to teach the why of things, ”he said in his interview for the aforementioned medium.
In addition, Piqué stated in his interview that he does not regret retiring from football, although he explained that sometimes he misses the atmosphere of the matches, adding that some time before reporting his decision he was already looking for new challenges for his life.
“Not at all. I just miss the competitiveness and electric atmosphere of the matches at the Bernabéu and Cornellà. It had been for many years and each time it was difficult for me to go to depending on which fields. If they put the game on for me at four in the afternoon, after eating, with the sun… it was hard for me, I have to be honest. I needed new challenges”, indicated Piqué.
What is the Negreira case?
The Negreira case keeps Barcelona of Spain in the middle of a controversy after the payment of 6.6 million $ (about 7 million dollars) since 2001 to Dasnil 95 was exposed, company of referee José María Enríquez Negreira, former referee and former vice president of the Technical Committee of Referees (CTA), for reports on arbitration issues.
The payments ceased in 2018, coinciding with the departure of Negreira from the CTA, after the remodeling of the organization as a result of the change in the presidency of the English Federation. Barça argued that it was to cut expenses. According to The worldNegreira then sent a burofax to the Catalan club on February 5, 2019 threatening to reveal a “scandal”.
now the diary The country revealed information in which it ensures that the English prosecutor’s office will take legal action and denounce the club for corruption, a scandal where one of the main ones mentioned is the former president of the team José María Bartomeu.
The lawsuit would be filed for the crime of corruption in business in a continuous mode, something that would not only affect the reality of the Catalan team, but would tarnish the image of Barcelona internationally, a team that enjoys great prestige on the planet.
In the sports field, Barcelona does not run any risk in Spain. “It is not possible that there are sports disciplinary sanctions” against Barca, explained the president of LaLiga, Javier Tebas, since “from 2018 to 2023 five years have passed and this type of sanctions prescribe three years from the time the events occurred.”
On the other hand, the positions of UEFA and FIFA are not yet known. The RFEF “has provided all the information it has” to the European body, which has the possibility of going to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (TAS).
*With information from AFP.