Cholesterol is a waxy substance found in the blood. The body needs certain levels of cholesterol to form healthy cells, however, having high levels of this substance can increase a person’s risk of heart disease.
With high cholesterol, fatty deposits may form in the blood vessels. Over time, these deposits grow and make it more difficult for enough fat to flow through the arteries. Sometimes these deposits can suddenly rupture and form blood clots that cause heart attacks or strokes.
Cholesterol is transported in the blood, attached to proteins. This combination of protein and cholesterol is called lipoprotein. There are different types of cholesterol, depending on what the lipoprotein carries. These are:
- Low Density Lipoprotein (LDL): LDL, or “bad,” cholesterol carries cholesterol particles throughout the body. This cholesterol accumulates on the walls of the arteries, causing hardening and narrowing.
- High-density lipoproteins (HDL): HDL, or “good” cholesterol picks up excess cholesterol and carries it back to the liver.
A lipid profile usually also measures triglycerides, a type of fat in the blood. Having a high triglyceride level can also increase your risk of heart disease.
Natural smoothie recipes to lower cholesterol
People with high cholesterol levels can take one of these drinks every morning, varying them every day to incorporate other nutrients into the body. It is likely that after a few weeks the person will notice the difference.
For take advantage of all the fiber in food, it is advisable not to filter waste. Although, depending on the power of the blender, the person may need to use a strainer. In that case, you can eat the leftover with a salad or meal.
– Banana, apple and spinach juice
Banana, apple and spinach juice is easy to prepare, high in fiber and very nutritious. Because of this, it can be a good ally when it comes to lowering cholesterol.
- 1 peeled banana
- 1 apple with skin and without the core.
- A handful of spinach leaves.
- 250 ml (or a cup) of water.
- First, it is key to wash both the apple and the spinach well. This vegetable can contain a large number of bacteria.
- Subsequently, you must peel the banana (or plantain), cut the apple and remove its center.
- Then you just need to process all the ingredients with a blender.
– Beet juice, orange, carrot, celery and apple
Beet, orange, carrot, celery and apple juice is an excellent combination of fiber and antioxidants, among other nutrients. So it can be used to improve cholesterol levels.
- 1 peeled orange without seeds.
- 2 stalks of celery.
- 1 peeled apple.
- 1 peeled carrot.
- 1 cup of water.
- For the first step, you need to peel the beetroot, carrot, and orange, removing the seeds from the latter. On the other hand, it is necessary to cut the apple to remove its core.
- Then, you must blend everything until there are no lumps.
- Finally, it only remains to serve this delicious drink.
– Pineapple, parsley, celery and cucumber juice
The juice of pineapple, parsley, celery and cucumber It provides a good amount of antioxidants and fiber, the more nutrients.
- 3 slices of peeled pineapple.
- 1 handful of parsley.
- 2 stalks or sticks of celery.
- ½ cucumber.
- 1 cup (250 ml) of water.
- Before preparing this drink, the person must make sure that they have clean hands, utensils, appliances, and ingredients. At this point, it is key to wash the celery and parsley especially well.
- When everything is clean, you should proceed to cut and peel the pineapple. On the other hand, cut the cucumber.
- Then, you must gather all the ingredients and blend them for 30 seconds or until the drink is suitable for consumption.
- Finally, it remains only to put the drink in a glass and enjoy it.